Wednesday, August 6, 2014

High School

I honestly think high school is that little spacer that consumes time just to. It's almost like a place saver. I feel like high school is that thing that takes up our time just to attack us at our teenage years to make us acceptable to release into society. Obviously fresh out of middle school many (if not all) students are completely irresponsible and useless. You can't just let them roam free. High school realizes you have most of the basics and doesn't think you're ready (or prepared?) for college and is just there to allow you to grow and mature and accumulate or attach some sort of responsibility onto your body before you go skip off with a boy named "Snake." I'm not really all that sure why exactly you can't just leave when you've gone beyond your maturity. I mean--yeah, yeah ok yes high school teaches you a whole heck of a lot and it is REALLY important and gives you that time to think about what you want to do for a living so you don't just jump right into the water head first; but at the same time public schools.
I've been in a public school my entire life. I've seen all the wrong things to do and all the rash decisions, I've seen all of the debt and stupid mistakes. I have seen much more of my share of irrelevant over-paid teachers that will punish no one, treat students like children, as well as sit and do nothing as a fight ensues in front of their classroom. And same goes for those sparse overly under-paid teachers whom of which go above and beyond on their assignments, students, and over all work. I've seen lives be ruined and education swirl down into the toilet due to technology, rash and inappropriate decisions, lack of control, even "downtown" altering a schedule or a rule for one person. The past two years with laptops has definitely been a learning process for everybody, students and teachers, alike. More of an excuse for the lazier students. I tend to use the "you give 'em an inch and they'll walk all over you" metaphor here. Because it literally describes this perfectly. I can't express how defeating and infuriating it is to be in a situation where you're almost a month into school and you've had your laptop since orientation, but your entire school of 2,000 can't charge or log in to their computers because IT (one person) is out. I feel the 'chain of command' so to speak is completely out of wack. All of the teachers and staff lose their heads when the internet goes out (which is quite often btw) and students are without access to assignments, textbooks, and worksheets. I'm not one to stand idly by while something this irritating is going on. Even more frustrating that I can do absolute 0 about it. It's been hard for me, my family, and my friends. It's flourished my cousin's student career by providing technology, but ruined his brothers. It's hard to pick a side. But when textbooks worked fine since the 15th century, I really don't understand why they are changing such a tremendous tradition. I don't understand and that's my problem. I need to, that's how I work. That is how I stay sane. This school is doing nothing for my nerves. I hope others have had much less agitating run-ins with technology in school.
As for me, I will continue to use my personal laptop as my personal laptop, and use my school laptop as a coaster.
May we meet again in happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment